Tips For Getting Rid of Bad Breath
What is Halitosis?
Halitosis is an oral health problem where the main symptom is bad smelling breath. Finding the cause of the bad breath is the first step toward treating this preventable condition.
There are many causes of bad breath just as there are many sources of bacteria in your mouth. Halitosis may be caused by the following:
- •Certain foods. The things you eat are linked to your oral health, including your breath. Items such as garlic and onions, or any food, are absorbed into the bloodstream.
- •Poor oral health care. Without correct and regular brushing and flossing, and routine dental exams, food remains in the mouth.
•Improper cleaning of dentures. Dentures that are not cleaned correctly may be collecting bacteria, fungi, and remaining food particles, which cause bad breath.
- •Odor-causing bacteria on the tongue. Certain bacteria on the back of the tongue can interact with amino acids in foods and produce smelly sulfur compounds.
- •Periodontal disease. One of the main symptoms of this gum disease is bad-smelling breath and an unpleasant taste in the mouth. This condition needs immediate care by an oral health professional.
- •Dry mouth (Xerostomia). This condition is often a key part of halitosis. When there is a major decrease in saliva production, the mouth can’t cleanse itself and remove debris and particles left behind by food.
- •Tobacco products. Tobacco products such as cigarettes, cigars, smokeless tobacco, and snuff stain the teeth and put the body at risk for a host of diseases.
Smart Tips to Get Rid of Bad Breath
The most common cause of bad breath is poor dental hygiene. If you don’t brush and floss often, the bacteria in your mouth continue to grow, and a thin film of bacteria known as plaque builds up on your teeth. When plaque isn’t brushed away at least twice per day, it produces a foul odor and leads to another smelly process, tooth decay.
Tip #1. Brush your teeth and floss regularly
This is the most important oral hygiene of all. Cleaning your teeth is the best way to prevent bacteria that’s causing bad breath. Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once as it also helps prevent tooth decay.
Tip #2. Gargle
This is the act of rinsing your mouth. A mouthwash is a better alternative as it gets rid of bacteria more effectively and gives you fresher breath.
Tip #3. Clean your tongue
Your tongue is a breeding ground for bacteria and is commonly the source of bad breath. When brushing your teeth, gently brush your tongue as well. If it’s not as effective, you may use a tongue scraper to help remove the smell.
Tip #4. Chew sugar-free gums with xylitol
Acid build-up causes bad breath. Candies and mints aren’t entirely effective to cover bad breath because they will make the problems worse. You can chew sugar-free gums with xylitol, a natural sweetener that is effective in fighting bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease.
Tip #5. Drink plenty of water
Dehydration can also cause bad breath, so make sure you drink enough water throughout the day to avoid and prevent dry mouth.
Tip #6. Be aware of the food you eat
Onions and garlic are culprits of bad breath. Even with brushing, it will give you a difficult time removing those types of odors. It’s important to watch your diet because a good balance of protein and carbohydrates is the best health wise.
Tip #7. Avoid vices
Drinking excessive alcohol, chewing tobacco, and cigarette smoking are all contributors to having bad breath and can affect your overall health.
Tip #8. Clean dentures
Don’t miss out on cleaning your dentures and do it thoroughly! Bacteria also builds up on dentures and not cleaning them means a disaster for your mouth.
Tip #9. If bad breath persists, visit Infinite Dental Wellness!
A regular dental check-up is the best way to prevent and stop bad breath. Frequent dental cleanings can remove stains, food debris, and tooth decay that are causing bad breath.
Dental Clinic at Glendale, CA
If you’re experiencing bad breath and it’s starting to affect your confidence, don’t hesitate to visit your friendly neighborhood and best dentist in Glendale, CA! Infinite Dental Wellness will welcome you with open arms and will treat your condition with utmost care. You don’t have to be shy or embarrassed with us, all you need to do is sit down and we’ll do what we do best!
We are offering complete dental care with special offers and reviews that can attest to our professional and outstanding service! To fight bad breath make an appointment, reach us through this link.