Mini Dental Implants: The Pros and Cons
Mini dental implants are a reduced version of the traditional ones. They can be made from various materials, but titanium is typically used. These prosthetics are placed underneath a patient's gums and into their jawbone.
Mini dental implants replace the tooth's crown and its root. This helps preserve jawbone tissue since the implant functions just like a real tooth's roots, transferring force to the jaw whenever the person bites on something. This characteristic of implants differentiates them from other tooth replacement options like bridges and dentures, which only replace the visible part of a lost tooth.
The screw or rod inserted into the patient's jaw is the implant. A crown is then placed on its outer end to replace the lost tooth.
Why choose mini dental implants?
Mini dental implants are meaningfully smaller than regular implants. They are only half the size of a conventional implant. Mini-implants are often combined with dentures to give patients a more comfortable experience and shorter cleaning times.
Dentists typically opt for mini implants if:
- The patient needs an implant in a narrow part of their mouth
- The premolars are being replaced
- The patient has small teeth
- The front teeth are being replaced
The difference between mini dental implants and conventional ones
Here are the main differences between regular and mini implants:
- Mini implants are the less pricey option
- Healing times are shorter with mini dental implants
- Traditional implants are stronger and larger than mini implants
- There is no need for bone grafts with mini dental implants
- The installation of mini implants takes less time
The pros and cons of mini implants
Mini implants come with certain advantages, but they do have drawbacks that conventional implants do not have.
- Are cheaper alternatives
- Have no need for bone grafts
- Have faster healing times
- Can be combined with removable dentures
- Do not require intensive surgery
- Make speech easier
- Restore the function of lost teeth
- Make wearing dentures more comfortable by eliminating the need for adhesives
- Look real
- Are a better option for front teeth and premolars
- Mini dental implants put more stress on the patient's jawbone since the bite forces are distributed over a smaller area
- Mini implants are not as durable or long-lasting as traditional implants
- Due to the smaller size of mini dental implants, the procedure can cause stress on a patient’s jaw bone and result in longer healing times due to a dissimilar distribution of weight
- Traditional implants offer solutions that last longer than mini dental implants
- Traditional implants tend to be better for the molars
- The O-rings that are used with mini implants can become loose over time
- They are not a good solution for people who grind their teeth, as this habit can damage the prosthetic over time; issues like teeth grinding should be addressed before getting any type of implants
Our dentist can help you make a choice
If you need to replace a missing tooth, our dentist will evaluate you and advise you about which type of implants to go with. Stop by our Glendale office for a consultation today.
Request an appointment here: https://infinitedental.wpengine.com or call Infinite Dental Wellness at (818) 541-1110 for an appointment in our Glendale office.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Mini dental implants are becoming a popular and affordable alternative to traditional dental implants. They offer an effective way to replace missing teeth without the need for invasive surgery, making them a great choice for those who want to avoid costly and time-consuming procedures. In this guide, we'll explore the benefits of mini dental implants,…
Are you looking for ways to improve your dental hygiene routine in Glendale, CA? Preventative dentistry is key and oil pulling can be a great start. Here are five ways to make sure you’re doing your part to keep your mouth healthy: 1. Brush Twice a Day: Make sure you brush your teeth twice a…
Are you looking for dental crowns in Glendale, CA? You’ve come to the right place! Dental crowns are dental restorations used to cover a tooth that has been damaged or decayed. They are strong and durable, and can help get your teeth looking straight and healthy again. At our dental clinic in Glendale, CA we…
Why Dental Implants is Good for Denture Wearers | Glendale CA blog post">
Dental implants have been a revolutionary advancement in the field of dentistry, offering an effective, long-term solution for replacing missing teeth. Dental implants are especially beneficial to denture wearers in Glendale, CA, as they provide a stable and secure foundation for dentures to be attached to. Dental implants offer many advantages over traditional forms of…